Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Ride of my life - A travelogue

This Trip was one of the most amazing, adventurous one I have ever went on august 2008. 


It was some time last year I had come to bangalore for my friend's brother marriage. Friday night we started in a scorpio to the place called SITANADI national park [ I am not sure, if the name is correct. This place is near Shimoga...which is around 6-7 hrs from bangalore, around 1 hr or 2 hrs ]. This place is too good for Water Rafting.


We reached the Park around 12 in the noon after having few stops in the night and having few long and short breaks.


The organizer said We will have to wait for the previous batch to come to the place.


2 P.m


We boarded a van, which took us to the starting point of the Raft course. The guide was telling us abt the precautionary measures while rafting.


2.15 pm


We carried the Raft on our shoulders and placed on the water , we were like 7  +1( the instructor)  on the raft..


2.30 p.m


We started rafting on the river , with a cloudy atmosphere. The experience was wonderful. Initially the path of the river went through the bridges and roads, where people were able to view us, but after  15-20 mins , we entered forest region, where there was only trees which has grown rapidly every where, giving you a feeling , as in you are exploring something in dense forest. The whole rafting area was 12 km for 1250 bucks. and 25 km for 2500 bucks. we opted for 12 km.


2.55 P.m
Rafting is no fun if you dont raft in the river which doesn't have rapids. They classify the rapids to be level 1 - Level 5 .


We encountered first Level rapid, which is easy for to move on .


For a rookie and if you have the guts you can go till Level 3.


Level 4 and 5 is for guys who knows to raft perfectly. These levels are kinda highly dangerous.


The instructor told us how to row in rapids and in normal waters.
Mostly the group was divided into 3,3,1
3 on the left side , 3 on the right, 1 on the back center place.
As you know any kinda boat, rowing has to be uniform. This was totally missing in our Raft.




3.15 P.m
The clouds were getting darker and darker. It started to rain heavily.. giving a feeling that you are really in a dense forest. The instructor said the river was 20 ft deep.


3.20 P.m
We encountered Level 2 rapid.By this time we are all totally rowing in our ways without even listening to the instructor's call. We did not know What was in store for us!!


3.30 P.m
The Raft was upside down, I was literally drowning.. in the river, with all my friends scattered over the river.. Wait I am missing something here A'int I?


3.27 P.m
A Level 3 rapid was on course. We tried to row as the instructor said and one of the adventurous guy in our group didnt follow..
The raft toppled upside down, making all of us fall from the raft..


3.28 P.m
It all happened in a few seconds, with a blink of eye,  all were scattered across in the river. I was gulping a lot of water, tried to push myself to go above the surface. Those 5-10 seconds when I was inside the water.. My whole life went like a recap to me.. a flashback of my own life.. right from my childhood to a 23 yr old young guy .


I just came up to surface and saw my whole world was dark, for a moment i thought.. I have reached some other place.. But someone's shouting and yelling brought back to my senses. I realised that I was totally under the inverted Raft.


3.35 P.m
The instructor inverted back to its position and slowly got all of us into the raft one by one.


Ever single guy was totally dumb struck with the experience. Imagine with the rain pouring down and all this happening.. We got ourselves back to normal and started to row as the instructor said..


After some time we crossed all the Level 3 rapids easily.


4.15 P.m
The instructor said to us, that they usually do something to make the people scared, but this time the incident has made him scare because , he never expected the raft to go that way ..


4.45 P.m
It was drizzling and we are back into the smooth water area.. One of my friend started to jump off from the Raft and was enjoying the water.


5.15 P.m
We reached the end point of the Raft course.


All of us could not come out of the experience..


This adventurous expedition taught me something that day.


How to value life not only yours , but also others.


You can live for so many years.. but death can catch in a millionth of a second. All it takes is just that time..


After experiencing this, I have started trying out all the other adventurous sports after this trip.


This experience has given me a Lot of courage to do things.. which I would have not even thought of attempting before.




P.s : I went to this trip around 2008 August.

No comments: